Zombie Traffic can be a major problem for websites because it increases bounce rates, slows down page loading times, and can lead to inaccurate data analysis. It also reduces the amount of real, human traffic that a website is receiving, which can have a negative impact on lead generation, website personalization, and other desired outcomes.
There are several methods for identifying zombie traffic. One way is to look for patterns in the web traffic data, such as high bounce rates, low time on site, and low pages per visit. Another way is to look for spikes in traffic that don't correspond with other activity, such as a sudden increase in traffic from a single source.
There are several strategies for managing zombie traffic and minimizing its negative effects. Some of the most common strategies include:
• Block IP Addresses: One way to manage zombie traffic is to block IP addresses that are associated with bots and automated scripts.
• Utilize Captchas: Another strategy is to require visitors to complete a captcha before they can access the website. This can help to ensure that the traffic is coming from real, human users.
• Implement Security Measures: Implementing security measures, such as firewalls and malware scans, can help to reduce the amount of zombie traffic that visits the website.
Best Tools for Monitoring Zombie Traffic
There are several tools available for monitoring and managing zombie traffic. Some of the most popular ones include:
• Google Analytics: Google Analytics is a powerful tool for tracking and analyzing web traffic. It includes features for identifying and blocking zombie traffic, as well as for tracking referral spam.
• Bot Detective: Bot Detective is an AI-based tool for detecting and blocking malicious bots. It uses machine learning algorithms to identify and block malicious bots in real-time.
• Cloud Flare: Cloud Flare is a popular web security and performance optimization platform. It includes an anti-bot feature that can detect and block malicious bots, as well as an analytics feature that can help you identify and filter out zombie traffic.
• Akamai: Akamai is a content delivery network (CDN) that provides web security and performance optimization services. Its Bot Manager feature can help you identify and block malicious bots, as well as filter out zombie traffic.